Thursday, February 13, 2014

SO FAR GONE TURNS 5!


Today marks the 5th year anniversary for Drake's very popular mix tape, "So Far Gone".

On February 13, 2009 Drake posted the mix tape on his blog, free for download and in just 2 hours it had over 2,000 downloads. Many Drizzy fans have been following him since his first mix tape, "Room for Improvement" but with features from mentor Lil' Wayne along with Bun B, Omarion, Trey Songz, and Lloyd, "So Far Gone" went on to be known as Drakes critical breakthrough and honestly listening back to the mix tape today track by track I can totally see why. I was a love struck teen in the 11th Grade when "So Far Gone" came out and like many of my peers I was able to relate to many of the songs. Aspiring to be a writer even then, I had a Lust for life and desired so much to be successful. Though I had no desirers to be a "professional dancer" I was able to connect with "Houstalantavegas" and appreciate the fact that everyone has goals (even strippers) and the dollars they dance for just might bring them a dollar closer to their dream. Drake seemed to vent on "Say Whats Real" and "The Calm" giving us insight on some personal issues making references to his mother and father, fame, quitting school and losing his rhymes along with his blackberry. And who can forget "Best I Ever Had"? The single was so successful it was released as an EP and made into a music video directed by Kanye West in a Brooklyn high school gym where Drake coaches a team of beautiful female basketball players. The song was later remixed by Nicki Minaj and included on her "Beam Me Up Scotty" mix tape. When my love life was sucky I would always rely "Sooner Than Later" and "Brand New" to put me to sleep. (Keep in mind I was in high school and a love struck teen.) Although it has been five years and Drake has became a lot more confident and creative the formula is still there. What formula is that? As everyone knows Drake often raps about his life and personal experiences, this he does on "So Far Gone"  and still does today but whether it's liked or not it's something his fans can relate to, on one level or the next. In an interview at N.Y.U. with Elliot Wilson, Drake says "What the fuck else would I write about". Agreed.

Listen And Download "So Far Gone" HERE!!





Drake | Best I Ever Had from Ramble West on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment